About Me

My photo
Lifestyle | KBeauty | Living with Multiple Sclerosis | Cancer Survivor | Beauty Blogger | My mind takes me to many places! Come along for the ride.


Twitter: @koreansoul77
Instagram: halfkoreangirl25

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pumpkin Cake! (Yeah not Paleo, YET)

I really am sorry to post this on my blog in which I talk about healthy eating and living Paleo, but for those who read this that just have MS, or just want to read it because I'm crazy, I thought this might be something for them.

I am going to do a recipe make over on this Pumpkin Cake and once I find the right combinations I will post it on here!

A little background. My mother loves Pumpkin Bread and when I was small she made it all the time. Fast forward to me being an adult and us living in Florida. She had forgotten her recipe but had the basics of what was in it. I started playing around and I finally got it exactly the way she remembered. I was doing this for her so making it Paleo wasn't in the books at the time. Plus I can't eat raw Pumpkin because I'm allergic to squash and it seems raw pumpkin. What? Why are you looking at me like that? FINE I'll tell the story.

I'm allergic to squash and zucchini. Yes it's a random food allergy and yes it's real. Sweet potato pie looks a lot like pumpkin pie right? One year by mistake my parents bought a pumpkin pie and when my dad and I had a piece  he realized what it was to late, I had already shoved some in my mouth. So, because of that unplanned experiment, I know I can eat pumpkin. I realized I could not eat raw pumpkin taste testing a recipe when I first started cooking. That one taste with my finger tip had me sick for 3 days (BIG SMILE).

OK, back on track. I can't taste test when I bake with pumpkin. So it's hard for me to see if I got it right when I mess with ingredients. This recipe is great though because I had some after I made it (laughing)!

Pumpkin Cake 

1 1/4 Cup of Coconut Oil (Yeah I know it's a lot. Use Applesauce if you would like to cut it)
2 Cups Sugar
4 eggs
2 Cups Pumpkin
2 Cups of Flour (this is where I need to make it paleo but I need to play with Coconut and Almond Flour)
1 Tsp of Vanilla
1/4 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp of Baking Soda
1 Tbl Baking Powder
2 Tsp Cinnamon (my mother does not like nutmeg but I've added 1/2 of nutmeg and it's great or 2 Tsp of pumpkin pie spice)

Preheat your oven to 350'.

Combine the coconut oil and sugar. I heat my coconut oil up just a little to make it liquid for this.

Once completely combined add in one egg at a time and make sure it is thoroughly combined before you add the next. Repeat for all four eggs

Add Vanilla and salt and mix well

Add pumpkin and mix well

Sift the Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Cinnamon together. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients I break it into four parts making sure each part is thoroughly combined before adding the next part.

I use a bunt cake pan for this. It takes 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven. If you use a cake pan the time will be less so please adjust. The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Tada! Happy New Year!  (my mother had already eaten some and cut it up by the time I let it cool)







No comments:

Post a Comment