About Me

My photo
Lifestyle | KBeauty | Living with Multiple Sclerosis | Cancer Survivor | Beauty Blogger | My mind takes me to many places! Come along for the ride.


Twitter: @koreansoul77
Instagram: halfkoreangirl25

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Leptin Reset - One week later

So, for those of you who have been reading my blog I have been doing a Leptin reset. This is to help your body become sensitive again to leptin (see what I did there?)

I'm going to dork out medically for about a paragraph here so if you don't want to be a dork (or it's boring to read medically specific info) you should skip down to the "condensed" version.

Long Explanation of Leptin: 

Human leptin is a protein of 167 amino acids. It is manufactured primarily in the adipocytes of white adipose (adipose is fat FYI) tissue, and the level of circulating leptin is directly proportional to the total amount of fat in the body.

Leptin acts on receptors in the hypothalamus of the brain where it inhibits appetite by (1) counteracting the effects of neuropeptide Y (a potent feeding stimulant secreted by cells in the gut and in the hypothalamus); (2) counteracting the effects of anandamide (another potent feeding stimulant that binds to the same receptors as THC, the active ingredient of marijuana); and (3) promoting the synthesis of α-MSH, an appetite suppressant. This inhibition is long-term, in contrast to the rapid inhibition of eating by cholecystokinin (CCK) and the slower suppression of hunger between meals mediated by PPY3-36. The absence of a leptin (or its receptor) leads to uncontrolled food intake and resulting obesity.

Short Explanation of Leptin: 

If it's working right you can control your appetite and metabolism better.

I've been doing this, and I'm not hungry at all and even when I do eat,  I don't want to eat much. It's either working/meat makes me full/I'm controlling my intake better. Either way I'm holding steady at my current weight loss with no gains AND with eating stuff like bacon MMMMM Bacon.

I do seem to feel better as well. Now I've been tired but I think that has more to do with a sleep study and a stressful work week. Which brought on a few bouts of dizziness. Could also be the MS. You never know what that silent little asshole is doing. I have more energy though in general and my mood is much better.

Last night I had Salisbury steak and today I turned the leftovers into Chili. I LOVE Chili.

Picked apart Salisbury steak turning into Chili before my very eyes.


Chili! With some aged cheddar!


Ok, so that above? Not 100% Leptin good. He suggests staying away from nightshades (tomatoes, hot peppers) I can't. I do better with them then without so I made an adjustment. I also had some cheddar but...well ok so I'm doing more Paleo/Primal then leptin today lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment